HOW DO I KNOW THE AGE OF MY SKIN?
The skin is our main and largest organ, it has a life of its own and experiences different changes over the course of the years, which are easily obvious to the naked eye. It is true that every minute that passes our skin ages a little more, but the actual age of our skin does not depend solely on our date of birth, biological age is highly influenced and determined by many other factors, such as a healthy lifestyle, sports practice, diet, hours of sleep, stress, hydration, use of sunscreen, etc.
There are different stages that our skin goes through, from the delicate and smooth skin of a newborn baby, going through adolescence where we are more prone to acne and excess facial oil, even deep wrinkles for old age and photo aging. That’s why they say our face is the mirror of the soul, but it is also the result of our lifestyle and that self-love that each of us feels and leads us to determine and decide how to take care of ourselves, in fact, according to different studies, nowadays you can attribute 25% of the aging process to genetics, but the remaining 75% depends directly on our lifestyle habits, then, the question that you really should ask yourself is: What does your skin say about you?
The skin of a newborn baby is especially delicate and much more sensitive to that of adults, since it is only one fifth of its thickness. In spite of that have the same number of layers of skin as an adult, these are much thinner, their cells are much less compacted and their glands sweat and sebaceous are much less active, so your film hydrophilic acid and the protective acid mantle are still very young and relatively weak. Babies are also much more sensitive to UV radiation given their low pigmentation in the skin. Melanin is considered a protective barrier of the skin against ultraviolet rays, which is why babies should be constantly protected from the sun.
By 12 years of age, the functionality and cellular structure of the skin have fully developed, so your care and routines should begin to change to prepare for all the changes you will experience in the adolescence.
Puberty brings with it drastic hormonal changes, which can come to have quite noticeable effects on our skin, especially on the face, the shoulders, chest and back. Our sebaceous glands are much more active, resulting in oily and shiny skin, prone to acne, blackheads and open pores, accompanied by spots caused by the lack or incorrect protection from ultraviolet radiation or sun rays, with an adequate sunscreen, that does not add fat and that does not worsen all these effects.
Usually all these disorders begin to disappear as the adolescent enters a more mature stage and is incorporated in the 20s, an in which the environment and healthy lifestyle play a key role in the biological age that will reveal our skin. Around 25 years of age the first signs of aging begin to appear, usually in the form of spots or fine lines of expression, becoming much more noticeable between 30 and 35 years of age. This happens because the amount of Collagen and Elastin in our skin begins to decrease approximately 1% per year, increasing the loss of moisture in our skin, reducing its elasticity and firmness, weakening the natural barrier of the skin and making it much slower the metabolic processes of cells, causing cellular aging premature and photo aging.
From then on it is our responsibility to provide extra help to our skin in order to delay and combat these signs of aging. In the decade of the 40s and 50s years of age, the structure of our skin changes gradually but much more significantly. You will notice your dull skin, this is because in your 20’s your skin changes every 28 days, now it changes every 45 days, so the dead cells remain much longer on your face.
During the 60s and 70s our skin gradually loses its ability to produce lipids, causing dryness, dehydration and more wrinkles Also, sensitivity to UV rays is greatly affected, making it prone to hyperpigmentation or age spots, in general the immune function of our skin is reduced, making it much more vulnerable to photo aging and skin conditions. It is important to note that each stage brings with it its own demands and the correct choice of products to clean, protect, nourish and repair the skin is key to keeping it healthy and making sure it looks and feels its best natural possible, regardless of age.
Because healthy skin is beautiful skin!